The name “Betis” is derived from Baetis, the Roman name for the Guadalquivir river which passes through Seville. Real was added in 1914 after the club received patronage from King Alfonso XIII.
Betis’ city rivals Sevilla FC were the first club in Sevilla, founded in October 1905, while a second club, Sevilla Balompié were established in September 1907. “Balompié” translates literally as “football”, as opposed to the most commonly adopted anglicised version, “fútbol“. Balompié was founded by students from the local Polytechnic Academy, and were in operation for two years before being officially recognised (in 1909); despite this 1907 remains the official foundation date of the club.
Following an internal split from Sevilla FC, another club was formed, Betis Football Club. In 1914, they merged with Sevilla Balompié. The club received its royal patronage in the same year, and therefore adopted the name Real Betis Balompié. Fans continued to refer to the club as Balompié and were themselves known as Los Balompedistas until the 1930s, when Betis and the adjective Béticos became common terminology when discussing the club and its followers.
Real Betis wear a green and white Kit to honor their most famous manager Paddy O’Connell, who was from Ireland. He led Betis to the division title in 1934 by a single point over Real Madrid.